Monday, May 30, 2011

Homemade Asian goodness

Hey guys, sorry I suck and I haven't posted in forrrreverrr, I've been super busy. I wrote this post the other day but it was really late and I didn't think it was a good idea to post it at the time....anyway, here it is now:

Let me start off by saying that my roommate Sarah is a truly fantastic person. She's hilarious, down-to-earth, creative and motivated (I swear I'm not in love with her). Right now, she's drawing a tattoo for me. It's funny because when I asked her if she would, she got all excited and was all, "Oh my god I've been WAITING for you to ask me!" How sweet!

Anyway, to toot Sarah's horn even more, she and her friend made a very spontaneous decision to make sushi today. While I was curled up in bed wasting my life away with mindless Facebook stalking and re-runs of The Office, Sarah was in the kitchen with three of her friends, cooking rice, chopping up veggies and hot dogs, and mixing sauces to make the perfect sushi. Technically, what they made is called "gimbap," which is the Korean form of sushi (because sushi is Japanese, duh). The main difference between gimbap and sushi is gimbap uses canned tuna, minced beef or cooked fish rather than the raw fish associated with eating sushi. Let's just say it was really freaking good.


There are even little hot dogs in there. Sarah told me that when she was little, her mom would make gimbap with hot dogs in it to make it more "americanized," and also because little Sarah really liked hot dogs (haha). As you can see, some of them may look a bit redder than others. That's because the chefs tried the first batch and decided they were too bland, so they made a second batch saturated with sauce. I mean, I thought they all tasted pretty good, but maybe that's because I like to douse everything with a good helping of soy sauce.

One of the girls who helped make the sushi also made bubble tea. I know I haven't posted about this glorious concoction yet, however, let it be known now that I love bubble tea. However, this was the first time I'd ever had hot bubble tea. Usually when I drink it, it's in smoothie form. But this was really good, too.


Not to be cheesy and quote my own blog title, but, yum yum yum nom. Nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment