Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The usual a.m. extravagance

If you ask someone who loves food as much as I do what their favorite meal of the day is, you'll probably get a very jumbled-up answer. How can I talk about a juicy steak smothered in A1 sauce for dinner as if it is even in the same category as a huge stack of fluffy pancakes? That's why I prefer the question of what my favorite weekly meal is. The answer is simple. BRUNCH!

Eggs, bacon, hash browns, toast, muffins, french toast and fresh fruit, all combined with the addition of a fruity alcoholic beverage as something deemed socially acceptable at an early hour make for what I think is the perfect way to cap off a stressful week. There are so many good brunch places in Boston, and I really can't wait to try out more of them. The only thing is, eating out in the city can get really expensive, especially for us unemployed student types. That's why I was so excited when my dad told us we were going out to brunch at Rickyl's, a restaurant not too far from my house in Brookfield, Ct, for Mother's Day, right before I had to return to school. Awesome, it's brunch AND it's free!

I figured, since I'm with the fam, I might as well go all out. I started off by ordering my usual morning array of drinks - water, cranberry juice AND coffee (the ladder of which I guzzled through like it was my last cup EVER - had to get about four refills). The waitress brought over our beverages, and I thought it was cute how the waters were served in jug-like glasses. Too cute to not photograph:

I was amused by the variety of colors in front of me for quite a few minutes. I'm often amused by pretty, shiny and colorful things. That's why when my eggs benedict arrived, it took me a couple of minutes to break in just because of their sheer beauty:

If you know me at all (or if you've gotten the feeling by reading my blog so far), you know that in order to please me, food needs to be more than just pretty (but I prefer when it's both pretty and delicious). These lovelies definitely brought their A-game. The hollandaise was very good-as creamy and flavorful as it should be. The potatoes were firm but totally still cooked, and seasoned to perfection. The eggs were good as well, although I wished they were a little less runny. I like my eggs firmer, but that's just me. Overall, quite satisfied. I will definitely have a post on my favorite brunch places sometime in the very near future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment