Wednesday, May 18, 2011

There is Hope!

I'm sitting at my kitchen table eating Nutella with a spoon. Forget the fact that I have dinner reservations at Max Brenner's in two hours for my roommate's birthday, I need my fix and nothing will stop me from getting it. Nutella has been quite a hot item in my life recently, especially these past few days. Two of my roommates, Sarah (the birthday girl) and Hope, each have their own jar. We demolished Sarah's jar on Sunday night after a delicious (if I do say so myself) dinner of chicken teriyaki stir-fry - we literally just passed it around in a circle and then all dug out gobs of chocolate hazelnut goodness with our respective spoons. Jordan, our other roommate who, ironically enough, is also president of the food club at our school, gave me the idea of mixing it with Greek yogurt. The result was tangy, chocolate-y goodness.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no better comfort snack than Nutella. It's pure, thick, creamy chocolate - honestly, how much better can it get? There's something soothing about its presence. When a group of girls is in possession of a jar of Nutella, it somehow bonds them together. It's similar, in a way, to being on the same cycle. We can all laugh about how fat we're being and the utter ridiculousness and childishness of licking chocolate off of a spoon. We don't care about sharing saliva or germs - we just want the damn chocolate.

And who (or what) else is going to be there for you in your last moment of desperation? Picture this: you're in class from 8 a.m. till 1 p.m. You then go to your after school job at a homeless shelter till around 4 p.m. Immediately after, you go to your supplementary job at a local bar from around 5 p.m. till 3 a.m. Sound crazy? This is the almost daily life of my roommate Hope. Girl's crazy, I'm not so sure when she has time to do her homework! Anyway, what's better than coming home at 3 in the morning to a jar of Nutella, a loaf a bread, and a note saying something like "you're crazy, take a break and have some Nutella!"? Probably nothing. So, Sarah, being the kind-hearted individual that she is, did this for Hope, who was more than thrilled to be greeted by this lovely sight after a night of getting hit on and chased down by crazy old men.

When no one else is there for you, Nutella always will be :) I bet if I continue living by that philosophy, I'll be doomed to a very lonely life plagued by obesity and diabetes. See you at the clinic!

No comments:

Post a Comment